Saturday, May 4, 2013

Richard Poon recalls fighting with parents over music


MANILA, Philippines -- Big band crooner Richard Poon admitted that pursuing a career in music was not easy for him. On ANC's Headstart, Poon told Karen Davila that as a young man, he ran away from home to pursue his singing career. "A lot of people don't know I ran away from home. I cooked for six years in our small family restaurant. Then I got, alam mo na I'm the only son and I'm working for my dad's business. As a young arrogant graduate, I was like 'kailangan mo ng computer, inventory sa food.' We were fighting all the time. One day after six years I said, since pinagbabawal konti na huwag ka nang kumanta, wala namang job security diyan, which is true. I took it not well, and I was like maybe, I just go my way so I ran away from home. We had a bad argument that time," Poon said. Poon is from an upper middle class family and his parents are both Chinese. Poon said his parents are already separated and his mother is now in Taiwan. The singer said he was stayed away from his home for about a decade. But he managed to work out his differences with his father. "When I left I made a vow to him, in business huwag nating pag-usapan kasi doon tayo nag-aaway, all our differences, all our different opinions and stuff. Sabi ko but I will take you out every week. Noong una ang hirap, the first date was ilangan. I told my dad, I will ever stop this relationship. Yung business natin huwag nating pag-usapan para hindi tayo mag-away but the personal relationship I would like to keep this and invest on it so I kept on dating him every week," he said. Now, Poon is just proud to say that his father is his number one fan. "But ngayon my dad is my like my number one. Every show he's like 'hey do you have a ticket for me.' It came to a point when we got comfortable one time I hugged him or hugged him back. Ngayon it's so cute, every time I'd leave my dad he have this gesture of his body na parang 'are you gonna hug me before you go.' When I see that like 'wow.' So dating him non-stop, we will just eat and we will talk about anything," Poon said. Poon admitted it was not easy growing up with a broken family. However, he hopes that his past will help him become a better man. "Every child who goes through a broken family has a certain valid fears na, will I commit this thing? Will the pattern continue? Have I unlearned my patterns? My character flaws? Ang hirap noon because sometimes it comes out," he said. Poon, who is currently promoting his first pop album "Legends", is also busy preparing for his upcoming wedding with Maricar Reyes.



Receive all updates via Facebook. Just Click the Like Button Below

?

Powered By | Gadgets Via Blogger Widgets