Thursday, October 31, 2013

Katy Perry's New Album Prism Debuts at No. 1 on Billboard Top 200, Tops Miley Cyrus' Album Sales


Katy Perry, Prism Album Cover
Katy Perry's roar is officially taking over airwaves. The brunette beauty's latest album Prism, has debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard top 200 chart, and the "Dark Horse" singer has even set a record for the largest sales week of 2013 for a female artist in the U.S. Quite an accomplishment! Over 286,000 units were sold in the album's first week of release in the U.S., according to Nielsen SoundScan, giving Perry the best sales week for her career to date. In addition to having a nearly 50 percent increase from the first week sales of her 2010 record, Teenage Dream, which debuted at No. 1 in eight countries and spent more than two years on the Billboard 200, the singer surpassed pal Miley Cyrus' Bangerz (which sold an impressive 270,000 units in its first week) for this year's biggest sales week among women. "I didn't want to do Teenage Dream 2.0," Perry recently told Billboard magazine of her new album. "Teenage Dream was highly conceptual, super-pop art. Prism is more organic, au naturale, vulnerable and honest, but still has the same amount of fun." The only other pop album to have a bigger release this year is Daft Punk's Random Access Memories, which sold 339,000 copies. Prism has also found global success, shooting to No. 1 on iTunes in 90 markets worldwide, and her first hit single "Roar" has spent 11 weeks on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. But despite the 28-year-old beauty's immense success, the pop star has no plans of slowing down: "It's a comfy spot to be in, but I can't get too comfortable," the singer told Billboard of her chart-topping status. "Otherwise, I'll lose perspective." As for where she sees herself in the future? "I'll probably turn into more of a Joni Mitchell," she confessed. "As I inch towards my 30s, I think my fourth record will be more of an acoustic guitar album. That's where I started when I was first discovered by Glen Ballard and got my first record deal. We'll see—I can't get ahead of myself. I'm still doing the work: I'm a good balance of left and right brain, and to be an artist with a long career, you've got to have both." She added, "One thing John [Mayer] said to me was,'‘It's harder maintaining success than finding it.' I've got a few records under my belt, and I still feel like a brand-new artist. People still want that truth to cut through." Sounds like she's found a perfect balance. Congrats, Katy!





Receive all updates via Facebook. Just Click the Like Button Below

?

Powered By | Gadgets Via Blogger Widgets