Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Aiza: Coming out to my family was not easy

MANILA – Contrary to public perception, singer Aiza Seguerra revealed that coming out to her family as a lesbian was not easy. Speaking to veteran broadcast journalist Cheche Lazaro, Seguerra said she and her parents did not talk for a year-and-a-half after she admitted to them that she’s gay. “Kasi close po kami eh tapos totally biglang walang pansinan. Asar na asar ako kapag gina-ground ako. High school ako noon, mga 14 or 15. May time noon na muntikan na ako mag-alsabalutan, inayos ko na ang mga gamit ko,” she said. Asked how exactly she told her parents, Seguerra recalled: “My mom was the one talking that time. My dad was quiet. It was very cinematic. Tapos my mom asked me ‘Si blank blank ba girlfriend mo?’ Pag tinanong na kasi akong straight, hindi na ako makapgsinungaling. So sabi ko opo.” At that moment, Seguerra said she saw her father shed tears without looking or talking to her. Despite that, the singer said she did not want to sacrifice her true identity just to make people happy. After some time, Seguerra said it was her mom who accepted her sexual preference first before her father came around. “My dad kasi hindi siya kagaya ni mommy. Pero for a time kasi hindi na siya sumasama sa mga gigs. Pero nung palabiro na siya ulit, parang okay na ulit. Hanggang sa nagsama ako ng girl, pinakilala ko sa kanila, okay siya about it,” she said. When things returned to normal in her family again, Seguerra said her mom’s only request was for her to give them a grandchild. “Pinag-uusapan namin nila mama iyan. Kumbaga kahit tanggap nila, alam ko na hoping sila. But I promised them an apo. Science is the key to many things,” she said. Showbiz fears Aside from what happened between her and her parents, Seguerra said she also had fears when it came out in public that she is a lesbian. “I never really came out kasi para sa akin, it’s none of their business. I already came out with my parents, my brother and my friends. For me, that’s the most important thing,” she said. “I did an interview. They edited my answers and made it appear as if I came out. Grabe nag-panic ako noon. Papalabas pa lang noon 'yung album ko. Naging kasabay ng album ko yung ‘Aiza Seguerra, tomboy,’” she added. According to the singer, she was afraid that people would stop supporting her because some might think that the Aiza Seguerra that they have loved since she was three years old is no longer the same person. Her fears, however, proved wrong as a lot of people loved her song, “Pagdating ng Panahon.” “They proved me wrong kasi sobra yung takot ko but when the song finally came out, the coming out issue, it’s as if it’s nothing. Siguro gusto lang ng tao 'yung truth. Hindi natin matatanggal 'yung mga bashers pero mas maraming rumespeto. I’m just happy that it happened the way it happened,” she said. “I can be me, I can dress up like this without fear na baka kung ano isipin. Kapag may kasama ako, baka isipin nila na girlfriend ko. Iba yung pakiramdam na Malaya ka. Sobrang hindi ko ipagpapalit iyon,” she added.




Receive all updates via Facebook. Just Click the Like Button Below

?

Powered By | Gadgets Via Blogger Widgets