Friday, July 5, 2013

Apl.de.ap calls Sarah G 'sneaky'


The Black Eyed Peas member continues charity work MANILA, Philippines -- Among his fellow coaches on "The Voice of the Philippines," Allan "apl.de.ap" Pineda of The Black Eyed Peas finds the youngest one, Sarah Geronimo, particularly "sneaky." The 38-year-old rapper said he did not expect the 24-year-old singer to possess certain qualities she's become known for on the hit reality talent search so far. "She's the sneaky one, because she's well spoken, very nice and she relates to the people, and I like that. It's just great," Pineda told reporters at the sidelines of a press conference held Thursday announcing his partnership with fast-food chain Red Ribbon. Airing Saturdays at 8:15 p.m. and Sundays at 9:00 p.m., "The Voice of the Philippines" is approaching its fourth week screening hopefuls through the Blind Auditions. Aside from Pineda and Geronimo, sitting as coaches are Tony award-winner Lea Salonga and Pinoy rock icon Bamboo Manalac. Asked which among his fellow coaches he is closest to, the Filipino-American rapper said, "I would say Lea, because we have that friendly competition and I love it." Pineda is also impressed with the recruits of Manalac so far, saying, in jest, "Baka may mata sa likod si Bamboo, kasi ang mga pinipili niya anggaganda!" For his part, Pineda said he is particularly proud of the aspect of the show that promotes Filipino talent to a wide audience. "It's great. So many talented Pinoys, and it's so hard, because my team, they're all amazing. And now that I have to pair them up and kind of... not lose them, but it's a competition," he said. Pineda is referring to the Battle Rounds phase of the program, wherein artists from the same team are pitted against each other to trim down the number of members per group. Team Apl so far has six artists: freelance writer Cara Manglapus, college student Moi dela Torre, band vocalist Sir Lord Lumibao, singing siblings Grace and Guji Lorenzana, sidewalk vendor Cora dela Cruz, and back-up vocalist Thor Dulay. Advocacy As a coach forming a team and honing talents on "The Voice of the Philippines," Pineda said his job on the ABS-CBN program is similar to his advocacy as a Philippines-born performer who made it big internationally. "I grew up in Sapang Bato, Angeles, Pampanga, and I was given an opportunity, and that's why it's really important for me to do the same, to give that same blessing. "I was lucky enough to be given that opportunity, and now it's time for me to give back. And I'm proud of my kababayans, and I want to see the youth of the Philippines to compete against the world," he said. Through the Apl.de.Ap Foundation, Pineda helps poor communities in the Philippines and in parts of Asia by building classrooms and addressing other educational needs. With the continued growth of the foundation, Pineda said a new goal is to hone the musical talents of poor Filipinos, through formal education, to help them find opportunities. "In every classroom, there's going to be a music program. And we're going to provide the same equipment that I use in my daily life, in making music. So definitely I'm sharing my experience with them," he said. Pointing to education as "the key out of poverty," Pineda continued, "With education, you can be anything. It comes from experience with me having an education that led me to be here, giving back and helping out others."

Receive all updates via Facebook. Just Click the Like Button Below

?

Powered By | Gadgets Via Blogger Widgets